Research center for Theoretical Physics (certified by CNCSIS)
Developing traditional research directions in the Department of Physics to promote a modern and effective training framework in Theoretical Physics More information
Physics of Crystalline Materials (certified by CNCSIS)
The research directions in the field of Physics of Crystal Materials are: obtaining optical crystals especially as laser active media; characterization of optical, dielectric and electrical properties of crystals; simulating crystallization processes to optimize growth facilities and crystal properties; spectroscopy of laser materials More information
Research center for Intelligent Materials (certified by CNCSIS)
The focus of the Intelligent Materials research center is to develop intelligent materials and structures and the multidisciplinary training of a new generation of physicists More information
Laboratory for solid-state crystallographic determinations
The BRUKER-AXS D8 ADVANCE diffractometer found in the Laboratory for solid-state crystallographic determinations is designed for non-destructive analysis by X-ray diffraction on massive polycrystalline materials, powders or thin layers. The following can be performed: phase analysis, lattice parameters determination, internal stress and texture determination, diffraction analysis at the incidence, refinement of crystalline structure More information
Quantum electronics group
The Quantum Electronics Group is part of the Faculty of Physics form the West University of Timisoara. The research activity focuses on theoretical studies and computer simulation of nano-devices. The goal is the theoretical description of the functioning of devices on a scale at which quantum effects become dominant More information
The solar platform
The solar platform includes the first station in Romania tuned for systematic monitoring of solar radiation on inclined surfaces. The database built so far is, in many ways, unique in Eastern Europe. More information
Numerical Relativity group
Numerical relativity and its related domains, such as symbolic computation applied in general relativity is one of the challenges of modern physics. Our team focuses on several research projects in this field, such as numerical cosmology, Cactus code and its applications, and the development of symbolic calculus for cosmology. More information
Electrohydrodynamic of disperse nanometric systems
The group research focuses on modeling the spectral, optical, electronic and magnetic properties of the 3d ions transition metals in crystals. It is also investigated the vibronic interactions and Jahn-Teller effect in such materials as well as the analysis of the electron charge density in molecular crystals.
RESEARCH GROUP “MODELING IN SPECTROSCOPY”
Fields of interest
• Semi- empirical , ab initio multireference calculations and DFT modeling of electronic, magnetic, optical, spectral and elastic properties of pure and doped crystals, glasses, nanomaterials;
• Ligand field theory (modeling the crystal field parameters and simulation the energy level schemes);
• Vibronic interactions and Jahn-Teller effect in molecules and crystals;
• Modeling of the EPR parameters and their relation with local deformations around paramagnetic ion;
• Electron density analysis for molecular crystals;
Coordinator: Emeritus Professor Nicolae M. Avram,
Members: Associate Professor Dr.Calin Avram, Dr.Adrian Sorin Gruia, Dr. Emiliana- Laura Eftimie, Dr. Marinela Ana Barb, PhD student Scarlatescu Ioana, PhD student Roxana Roman;
-Prof.Dr. M.G.Brik, Institute of Physics,Universty of Tartu, Estonia; Chongqing University of Posts and Telecommunications, Chongqing, P.R. China;
-Dr.A.M.Srivastava, GE Global Research, Niskayana, NY, USA;
-Prof. Dr.V. A. Chernyshev, - Ural Federal University, Ekaterinburg, Russian Federation;
- Dr.V. P. Volodin- Ural Federal University, Ekaterinburg, Russian Federation;
-Associate Professor Dr.Petya Petkova, Shumen University ”Konstantin Preslavsky”,Shumen, Bulgaria;
Research subject for 2016-2018:
• “Theoretical investigations of spectral, electronic, magnetic and optical properties of 3d ions in solids for potential applications in optics and quantum electronics”.
• “Investigation of electron density analysis for some hybrid organic-inorganic materials”.
Published papers in ISI quoted journals
• N. M. Avram, V. A. Chernyshev, E-L. Andreici, V. P. Petrov and P. Petkova, „ Phonon spectra of eulytite crystals BI4M3O12 (M=Ge, Si):ab initio study”, Optical Materials, 61, 30-36(2016);
• A.M. Barb, A.S.Gruia, C.N.Avram, “ Optical energy levels scheme for Co2+ doped in K(Mg,Zn)F3 fluoroperovskites”, Physica B , 482,24-27(2016);
• M.G. Brik, S.J. Camardello, A.M. Srivastava, N.M. Avram, A. Suchocki, „Spin forbiden transition in the spectra of transition metal ions and nephelauxetic effect”, ECS Journal of Solid Science and Technology, 5(1), R3067-R3077 (2016);
• N.M. Avram, C.N. Avram, L.-E. Andreici, A.M.Barb, „Jahn-Teller Effect in 4T2g excited state of Mn2+:MgO” Chemical Physics, 450, 146-150(2015);
• C.N.Avram, A.S. Gruia, M.G. Brik, A. M. Barb, “ Calculations of the electronic levels, spin-Hamiltonian parameters and vibrational spectra for the CrCl3 layered crystals” ,Physica B 478,(31-35(2015);
• M.G.Brik, A.M.Srivastava, N.M.Avram, A.Suchocki,”Empirical relation between covalence and the energy position of the Ni2+ 1E state in octahedral complex”, J.Lumin., 148,338-341 (2014);
• S.Ivascu, A.S. Gruia, N.M.Avram,”Crystal field effect on interionic distance in cubic MgO crystal doped with Fe2+ ions”, Physica B,450, 146-150 (2014).
• N.M. Avram, M.G. Brik and E.-L.Andreici , „Semi-empirical and ab initio DFT modeling of the spin-Hamiltonian parameters for Fe6+: K2MO4 (M=S, Cr, Se)”, Physica Scripta T162, 014020-014023 (2014);
• ” M.G. Brik, A.S. Gruia, C.N. Avram, E.-L.Andreici and N.M. Avram, „First principles and crystal field calculations of the spectral, structural and electric properties of (Na,Li)VSi2O6 clinopyroxenes crystals”Physica Scripta ,T162, 014021-014025 (2014);
•M.G.Brik, N.M.Avram, A.S.Gruia, "Calculations of the spectral,structural and electronic properties of NaCrSi2O6 and LiCr2O6 crystals", Optical Materials, 35,Special Issue,1772-1775 (2013);
• A.M. Barb, A.S.Gruia, C.N.Avram, “Modeling of crystal field and spin-Hamiltonian parameters for Ti3+:MgO”, Physica B , 430,64-66(2013);
• N.M.Avram, M.G.Brik, C.N.Avram, M.G. Ciresan, L.Andreici, "Crystal field and low lying energy levels for Cr3+ doped in LiNbO3" , Rom. Rep. Phys., 64 Suplement,1163-1169(2012);
• E.-L, Andreici, N.M.Avram,"Vibronic coupling constants for V3+ doped in Li(Al,Ga)O2 crystals Opt. Adv. Mat.-Rapid Comm., 6(7-8) ,721-722(2012);
• M.G.Brik, N.M.Avram, C.N.Avram, " Ab initio calculation of the electronic, structural, and elastic properties of Nb2InC", Comput. Mat, Science 63, 227-231 (2012);
• E.-L. Andreici, S.A.Gruia, N.M.Avram, "The parameters of the free ions Mn5+ and Fe6+ ", Physica Scripta, T149, 014060- 014064 (2012);
• A.S.Gruia, C.N.Avram, N.M.Avram, M.G.Brik "Ab initio calculations of the structural, electronic and elastic properties of K3CrF6", Physica Scripta ,T149, 014065-014068 (2012);
• M.G.Brik, A.M.Srivastava, N.M.Avram, “ Comparative analysis of crystal field effects and energy level scheme of six-fold coordinated Cr4+ ion in the pyrochlores Y2B2O7 (B=Ti4+,Sn4+)", J.Lumin., 131(1), 54-58 (2011);
• M.G.Brik, N.M.Avram, C.-G.Ma,"First principle calculations of structure,electronic,optical and elastic properties and microscopic crystal field effect in Rb2CrF6", Comput.Mat,Science 50(8),2482-2487 (2011);
• M.G.Brik ,N.M.Avram, "Electron-vibrational interaction in the 5d state of Ce3+ ions in halophosphate phosphor" Material Chem.and Phys.,128(3), 326-330 (2011);
• M.G.Brik, A.M.Srivastava, N.M.Avram, "Comparativ analysis of crystal field effect and optical spectroscopy of six-coordinated Mn4+ ion in the Y2T2O7 and Y2Sn2O7 pyrochlores", Optical Materials, 33(11), 1671-1676 (2011);
• Nicolae M. Avram, Mikhail G. Brik and Ilmo Sildos, “Electronic and optical properties of ZnCr2Se4 as explored by first principles and crystal field calculations", Phys. Status Solidi (C), 8/9, 2585-2588(2011);
•L.Andreici, M.G.Brik, N.M. Avram, "Electron-phonon coupling in Ni2+-doped MgGa2O4 spinel", Rom. Rep. Phys., 63(4), 1048-1052 (2011);
•. Gh.E. Drăgănescu, N.M. Avram, Coherent States and Applications”, Editura Mirton, Timişoara, 1999, 243 pg. (in Romanian)
•N.M. Avram, C.N. Avram, „Energy Levels of Ions in Crystals”, Editura Mirton, Timişoara, 2001, 154 pg. (in Romanian).
• “New Trends in Advanced Materials”, Eds.: N.M. Avram, V. Pop, R. Tetean, Editura Universitatii de Vest, Timisoara, 2005. 259 pgs.
• “Jahn-Teller Effect for the 3d Ions (Orbital Triplets in a Cubic Crystal Field)”, M.G. Brik, N.M. Avram, C.N. Avram, in: The Jahn-Teller Effect. Fundamentals and Implications for Physics and Chemistry - H. Koppel, D.R. Yarkony, H. Barentzen (Eds.), Springer Series In Chemical Physics 97 , Springer, Berlin, 2009 – ISBN 978-3-642-03431-2, pgs.347-370.
•"Exchange charge model of crystal field for 3d ions ", M.G.Brik, N.M.Avram and C.N.Avram in Optical Properties of 3d-Ions in Crystals.Spectroscopy and Crystal Field Analysis- N.M.Avram and M.G.Brik (Eds), Tsinghua University Press, Beijing and Springer-Verlag, Berlin,Heidelberg, 2013- ISBN 978-7-302-28545-8,pgs. 29-94.